Monday 26 January 2015

A boy named “Ladka”


Searching for a corner to relax the mental chaos in that new city, filled with remorse and suppressed emotions, I reached till the end of the lane and took a seat for sipping tea. Still lost in my daily words and rewinding the past to uncover what went wrong, I saw a boy with a broad smile on the face standing near me holding a glass of tea and he placed it with a keen look into my eyes. His presence melted my remorseful thoughts and broke the picture of past to confront the present. Observing him move to every table and pouring the tea in empty glasses and sharing that splendid smile.

Everyone there was calling him ladka and his response to the word was surprising, as someone is called by the name. I sipped it all and went to the owner and asked for the name of the guy and if others were trying to tease with the name. In a polite manner he said, even if they do, the auspicious smile won’t go. On inquiring more about him, he responded with a story of how he found him.

It was zero degree days of harsh and dry winters when he saw a boy sleeping on his contour in ragged clothes. He pushed him to wake him up and asked what was he doing there alone with no warm stuff on his body, the boy was cold and numb. He was offered a blanket and a cup of tea to get the warmth. He didn't reply to any of the questions but just to the word which became his name later. He observed me serving tea to the guests, washing the cups and started doing the same. Saying no him might have been inhuman at that time. When he came back finishing all and saw me smiling, the boy gave a surprising smile which has never been lost till now.


He spoke less but embraced all, spreading smiles with never ending zeal. The grace in his eyes was infectious and I took it with elation. The chaos and suppression just needed a gentle divine smile to vaporize. Being in present and simple was enough to avoid the cultured depressive attitude. 

3 comments: